Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Newborn

I saw you and I thought, "Well, this
Will make me feel one of two ways.
First, that I am justly afraid
Of having one like you, and second,
That I will want nothing but
To have one of you for my own."
But neither feeling came.
Instead, I felt
A kinship in the way you slept
And woke
And slept so fitfully,
Flinging yourself unprompted
To and fro, and hardly rested
Much at all.
And so I thought, "How could this 
Be so, when you are only
One month into life and have no 
History that keeps you from 
Resting peacefully?"
I wanted you to feel the peace
That I have never felt, and I
Was more disturbed
By the nagging, self-imposed fact
That you, untainted, restlessly
Could find no comfort in the arms
Of those who loved you endlessly
And showered love and love and love
And still you cried --
With a mere month inscribed into your empty book --
So inconsolably.

No comments:

Post a Comment