Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mistrust

Creeping in again, that mistrusting cold
That breaks through the possessive heat
And the two forces battle
In my stomach, unsteadying my hands
And my head floats above itself
Gazing down confusedly on the whole,
Shimmering lot.

I am not the fearful type,diving head first
Often into the sort of
Situation that people purposefully avoid,
But the normal sort of things
That others do without a thought --
Like breathing steadily, or
Picking up a phone, going
Out the door when work has nothing to do with it,
Or sleeping --
Shake me from my core.

What keeps me here outside the fishbowl,
Or in it depending on the day,
Either way peering through the warbled glass
Inward or outward, eyes catching
Glimpses of steady images that, once
Caught, change shortly after,
Most times unrecognizable in their
New form,
Making my brain cells leap
Like a cat when you drop something heavy
On the floor.

How do you trust your mind 
When it will not learn to expect,
Even after all this while,
The constant betrayal of the subject of its focus
As it turns abruptly to something else
Every single time?

No comments:

Post a Comment