Monday, May 6, 2013

Penny-times-twenty


I'd give a penny (times twenty;
I'm poor, you know) for every time
I could open up my head and heart
And put you there so you could see 
Every time I think of you, or see you,
Or witness you in your
Endless, beautiful action;

Or just you, quiet, unmoving
(Which is rare) without your
Arsenal of self-assuring practices
You ensconce and you bulwark
Yourself with, even though
You are so more-than-perfect,
And daresay more-so, perfect,
Just the way you are:

The way you wear your heart
Inside the tiny creases of your brow, as you
Carry those around you on a back
That yes, is broad, but tired, and
No one sees that, and you try to reason with
Yourself that you
Prefer it that way.

The way your voice grows softer,
Almost-growling when you try to
Let your defense down, but still
Are scared and trying to deny the fact
That you have needs and
Wants that you have finally
Attempted to accept; if not
For my sake.

The way you could be one who drives the
Biggest, most expensive car
And wear the best, expensive clothes
And talk the highest, haughty talk
(As you have the right to!)
Walk the least-besoiling walk
Above the people you’ve committed to
Like those who put you there
So horribly do;
But there you are, chin-deep in grease
And running breathlessly and grinning
With your tray of service, honesty,
Betraying who you are.

The way you stop.
Lie down amongst the strangest places:
On the very floor where those you serve 
Have sprung from. 

Or the way you look
When you place fingers to face
And close your eyes,
And are,
Thinking no one is looking.

Or, the way you come through for me
The way I need
Each time
Each way
Each unexpected moment
Of each day,
Infusing life back into me
Beyond what I possibly could have
Envisioned for myself by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment