Monday, March 25, 2013

The "self" in selfless



What broke my heart was not that it was
Too, too full after being too deprived for too, too long,
But that all that I could bring myself to do was
Gaze at you while you let me into
Your world as it was breaking with me in it,
And that I could not move from where I sat
Because I felt that more of me would break you too
And that as you showed your rubbed-raw side
Of feeling selfish, I
Could only counter with selfish inaction,
Thinking I was important enough to make that call
After having inadvertently been important enough
To deprive you of the moment
That would have meant the mending of two worlds
For just the moment, immortal
Now as the moment that I stalled
And will relive and cringe at for too, too long,
Again, unable to let go of “I”
Even when you are the one who
Lets me let that go.




No comments:

Post a Comment